top of page

Dutch resident permit procedure

Updated: Oct 8, 2019

Self-employed person

You wish to work in the Netherlands as an independent entrepreneur. You need a residence permit for this. What are the conditions for this residence permit? And how does the application procedure work?

If you want to work in the Netherlands as starting entrepreneur in a start-up, then other conditions apply.

Other conditions apply to persons with the nationality of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland and their family members.


There are certain conditions that apply to everyone. In addition, you have to meet the following conditions:

The activities you are about to do serve an essential interest for the Dutch economy. The product or services that you are going to offer must be innovative in nature for the Netherlands. To assess this, the IND requests advice from the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO). The RVO is acting in this on behalf of the Minister of Economic Affairs. The essential interest is assessed on the basis of a scoring system.

The scoring system consists of 3 parts:

1. Personal experience (education, entrepreneurship, work experience)

2. Business plan (market analysis, product/service, price, organization, financing).

3. Added value for the Netherlands (innovation, employment creation, investments).

The 3 parts together consist of a total of 300 points. At least 90 points are needed, with a minimum of 30 points for each part.

If you have the Turkish nationality or you have the status of a long-term resident EC in another EU country, the scoring system does not apply.

  • You are registered in the Trade Register of the Chamber of Commerce (KvK).

  • You meet the requirements for practising your business or profession. This means that you have all the necessary licenses.

  • You are going to earn sufficient income from your activities as an independent entrepreneur. This should be evident from the business plan.

Additional conditions for a freelancer

  • You have one or more commissions in the Netherlands that you, as a freelancer, are going to carry out.

Additional conditions for companies in individual healthcare

  • You are registered in the Big-register (Individual Healthcare Professions). It is only with this registration that a healthcare provider with a foreign diploma may operate in the Netherlands as a self-employed person.

Dutch American Friendship Treaty and Dutch Japanese Trade Treaty

  • You meet the conditions that apply to everyone.

  • You have the American or Japanese nationality.

  • You do business between the Netherlands and the United States or Japan. Or you develop and lead the general business of an American or Japanese company in the Netherlands. You have invested or are in the process of investing a significant capital.


This application costs € 1348.


37 views0 comments


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page